Saturday 26 December 2015

A little bit of Chistmas!

In case it wasn't obvious, I'm a pretty massive fan of Christmas-time. And obviously I'm Elin's biggest fan too, so Elin's first ever Christmas is about as exciting as it gets for this mumma. Obviously hundreds of photos were needed to document the day in all its festive glory. When I looked back through them to narrow them down into this post, it felt as though the earlier shots from the morning were SO long ago. Like, neither James or I could believe that that was the same day. We both agreed that that was a sign of a cracking day. SO here you have it, Elin Grace Lathey's first Christmas, 2015



Could those get any wider? They are gonna break hearts one day, I tell ya!



James and I decided to keep things pretty minimal this year. Knowing she will never remember and get equal enjoyment from cardboard boxes and wrapping paper, we agreed to keep things as simple (and cheap) as possible for as long as possible. Having said that, Santa did manage to squeeze this bad boy into our studio flat. Elin's loving life in her Princess ball pit as you can see- her face was a picture and we have dozens of shots like this with the widest smile ever. It was magical to see. And the pic above, her just kicking back after a busy morning unwrapping presents! Bless.


Wrapping paper really did amuse her so much. It went without saying that her grandparents still spoiled her so it still felt really festive and we had lots to unwrap and play with too.


All this before 6 o clock! Elin's sleep is pretty horrific lately but she's usually a fan of a lay in. Not today apparently; she was raring to go and the lure of Santa meant James and I didn't mind, really.




So, if you're from the south west you may know the (totally ridiculous) tradition of having a quick Winter's swim? Just within a ten mile radius we have the Charmouth Challenge on the 25th, the West bay Wallow on boxing day and the Lyme Lunge on New years day! Loads of people rock up to take part or just to watch. As I was pregnant last year we were just spectators, but there was the most festive atmosphere and its a real tradition. This year, though the weather and winds were against us we still decided on joining in. And as totally irresponsible parents Elin was the youngest swimmer on the day! Here we are before hand, I didn't get any after shots, but it was brilliant fun! Honestly, we left the beach on such a high and surprisingly not as cold as you'd think!



*Disclaimer- alright, no Elin didn't actually swim, she just had lots of cuddles as I paddled in the surf and her Daddy divebombed everyone. She was also in her thermals below that waterproof snowsuit and was lovely and toasty. Despite, you know, it being the beach in December.

It'll be something to tell her when she's older, and maybe we can achieve this every year from now on!


Elin's first Christmas Dinner! We're one of those families that probably counts the roast as the most important part of Christmas day and we also cook enough to feed a small army. Come to think about it, that's nearly every family on Christmas. But this year was extra important- I mean a kids first Christmas dinner is a major first and step on the weaning journey. Boy, did our baba eat good- 5 bird roast, cauliflour cheese, a yorkshire, sausage meat, stuffing, carrots, parsnips, green beans, spuds... You get the gist. She'll be eating left overs for a week, but I'v never been a bigger fan of baby led weaning than I was today! We had so much fun. Plus any baby sat happily feeding herself in her elf hat is just the cutest thing ever. And that I got to eat my dinner hot was a major bonus. No more pics, because you know, eating was way more important.




I bang on constantly about these two's special and beautiful bond. But my God, this picture of her gazing at him just breaks me. They are so lovely and I'm so grateful that they are my people. Words aren't enough!


Elin's great uncle spoiled her with these brilliant finger puppets! We had a lot of fun witht them and I love this capture too. It also reminded me that while it was Elin's first christmas is was also our first as husband and wife. That's worth celebrating in itself.



Christmas day, family selfie alert! Yep- we are that family, and proud!




After dinner and before dessert we braved the outdoors again to have a blustery walk down the beach and pop to the pub. I like to get out and about on Christmas day as everyone you meet is happy and joyful and its nice to be part of that even among strangers, perhaps especially so. And Elin's coat? I bought it months ago with Christmas day in mind and the fact it fitted just made my already amazing day just so much better. She was the most stylish baby thats for sure!


Obviously Elin lights up our world a huge percentage of the time, but on this day she also brightened everyone she met. She was flashing THAT smile constantly and winning everyone's heart. Christmas is even better with babies I think!


So there's a little look into our first Christmas as a family! Festivities will continue over the next few days visiting family but on the day itself we kept it just for us three. It was a perfect, relaxing day I was blessed to spend with my two most favourite people on this world. Christmas is the perfect time to say it, but I feel it all the time too, but I really do love my family and the life we are building together. We really celebrated what Christmas is all about for which I am exceptionally grateful.




No comments:

Post a Comment