Tuesday 11 August 2015

Bristol Balloon Fiesta 2015



Over on Instagram I shared a few shots of our time at the Bristol Balloon Fiesta. It was something both James and I have always said we wanted to see and as with us, we're always working on completing our bucket list! Even though August is due to be a stupidly busy month for us we made the decision to drive down on the Saturday night in order to be up bright and breezy Sunday morning to witness the morning ascent.


We let Elin stay up far beyond her usual bed time (much to her apparent delight) and took in the views from the George hotel which over looks the Clifton suspension bridge. Even though we had thought you could see the night glow from here before we (and all the other tourists) learned that those balloons don't actually take off, we still had a cracking evening enjoying tapas food and a cheeky glass of wine before a brief firework display. We're so lucky that we have such an amenable baby who allows us to do this sort of thing, and we plan to make the most of this as long as it continues! Even though our first night in Bristol was a bit of a false start without seeing a single balloon or getting within a mile radius of the fiesta itself, with a happy joyful baby the night was far from wasted!

The other (slightly superficial but totally adorable) thing I loved was being able to dress Miss Elin up in 'winter' clothes. This little knitted onsie was one of the first things we bought for our 'team yellow' bump and when she popped out it was stupidly huge on her. But she fills it out beautifully now and I honestly just needed to squeeze her because shes so damn cute! Plus I'm hoping they make an adult version, as it looks that comfty. I can't wait for autumn and all that the season brings, along with it, one seriously cute winter wardrobe for baby!
The Sunday morning we were all up and ready by 5:30am to head to the fiesta site. Arriving to spectacular views and a colourful show ground it made the whole thing more than worth it. I've been lucky enough to see a hot air balloon up close a fair bit growing up but for James the experience was a complete novelty. Elin was also completely hypnotized by the colours and sounds of the burners. We got to see dozens and dozens of balloons take to the skies as part of the ascent and the whole thing was incredibly tranquil and so beautiful. Definitely a spectacle I feel lucky to have enjoyed with our family!


Pictures and words really don't do this event justice in the slightest so I can only recommend if you ever get the chance to go- DO. Like I said, August is set to be a stupidly busy month (full of all sorts of exciting things including concerts, coasteering and my HEN DO) so it was looking like making it to Bristol would be a bit of a challenge. But I'm SO grateful that we did.



I'l leave this post with this little shot of our girl, in the cutest little dungarees. The nickname Elin Melon has sort of stuck (teenager Elin- I apologies in advance!) and when we spotted these in the most lovely peach and mint colours that ACTUALLY HAVE MELONS ON THEM, well, we couldn't leave them, could we? She makes my heart melt, and this picture might be a favourite now. Miss Elin Melon, you are joy encapsulated and the cutest bundle I could ever dream of! Mummy loves you. I'm sorry your name sort of rhymes with Melon. I won't call you so in front of your friennds. Much.

I'd love to see your images of the Fiesta, whether recent or from years gone by! I hope each and every one of you enjoyed your August weekend, whatever it is you were up to!

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I had no idea this was a thing! We've been dying to go back to Bristol again as my husband keeps telling me there's lots of great foodie things happening there but I would have loved to have seen this! Love your flamingo jumper! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much happening in Bristol! They do this every year and its one of the biggest ballooning meets of its kind in the world- so worth it! Theres also lots of things to do during the day as well as fair ground rides for the littles and you could even have a flight too! Highly recommended!

      Delete